Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Best Snack In the Whole World and Ethiopia

Mmmm. I just bought a carton of mango sorbet and I am just sitting here enjoying the warm October night in Colorado.

Church this morning was wonderful, even though my normal church pal Becky wasn't there. She's in Ethiopia for the month working on a nonprofit home she's opened for women with fistula. She posted an update this morning on her web site, and she told me I could quote part of it here:

I am living with Legesse, Bizuneh, Tigist, Martha, and Elizabeth. Martha is the first woman with Fistula that we have helped. She looks so healthy and happy. Tigist was saved from the countryside and forced marriage. Elizabeth is our newest love. She was also saved from forced marriage. Forced marriage is quite common here in the country side. A man waits for the unwilling girl to let her guard down and be somewhere alone. Then his friends hold her down while the man has relations with her. She is then his wife until he leaves her. The house where I live is about two hours from the closest internet center so I may not be able to write as often. We have electricity but no running water. I learned how to shower with a bucket and dipper in the Philippines, so it is really not difficult. We share two bedroom between all of us. It is wonderful to see how much their lives have been improved. Our home is about a 30 minute walk from where the last taxi drops us. As I was walking up the hill after I first arrived, Elizabeth came running. She started crying she was so happy that her whole little body was shaking. You can imagine how I responded. We were a mess. Especially in a country where it is not correct to display emotion publicly.Tomorrow, we will begin our "step by step" with the government to get our home officially opened. I am sure we will have good news soon.


I am so happy for her, and want to travel with her sometime to see this wonderful home that dares to love and care for the outcasts of Ethiopia.

5 Comments:

At 10/03/2005 07:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Women's issues like this touch me so deeply. I have a passion for women such as these. Does this home get them medical care? Are most of them very young teenage girls? How is this being funded?

To be born a woman in the USA is to be born one of the most blessed women of the world. We are very fortunate.

I'll have to try that snack!!!

 
At 10/03/2005 05:40:00 PM, Blogger girlski said...

that's cool... your friend traveled to ethiopia to help out women in need.

i go to work everyday to help rich people get even richer and to avoid paying taxes on their massive amounts of wealth.

hmmm....i feel useless.

 
At 10/03/2005 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many people who save money on taxes use the savings to fund things that help people in need. Wealthy people (not so wealthy, too) do much good for this country and other countries with their "massive amounts of wealth". Wealth is a good thing. Useful, in fact!

 
At 10/04/2005 04:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How egalitarian of you, salacious. (Not very salacious of you though.)

How many of the wealthy do you suppose actually directly contribute to world problems, as you suggest?

Sarah, your friend... wow! I'm like Sara; sitting in my comfy climate-controlled office, sipping coffee, typing emails. Worlds and worlds apart I am from the ails of other people.

 
At 10/05/2005 04:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you research that, Rob?
You would be surprised if you looked at it honestly.
Start with Bill Gates.
The wealthy in this country give quite a bit to charitable causes.
Why don't you like money? Is it because you don't have any?
If you are concerned about people's troubles, you could leave the typist job and go help somewhere. Many do.
Or you can earn big bucks and donate. It's all good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home