Sunday, September 25, 2005

Blog Etiquette

Tell me this-

Is it bad manners to post something on a stranger's blog? Because I don't know that many people with blogs, and I tend to discover cool ones all the time. I do have a lot of time on my hands, and I like to let people others know if I appreciate their writing, taste in music, or even pictures of their chinchilla.

This strange thing happened this weekend- I found a cool blog and I commented on it. Twice. I checked back today to see if my comment had been commented on, and both of mine had been deleted! Just like that! It makes me feel like I did something wrong by commenting. I'd like to think that it was a mistake; that maybe this blogger hit the wrong key (twice). After all, I myself deleted a post that I had made this weekend, and apparently the comment with it as well (sorry Vaughan- I did get the comment via e-mail, though!).

My impression is that if someone posts pictures and stories of their life online with comment options, they are open to the idea of strangers looking at and sharing their experiences. I hope that this is right.

8 Comments:

At 9/25/2005 11:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say you did nothing wrong. You're right of course that blogs are public, so a blogger should be prepared for strangers to comment.

I suppose if you had called him expletives in your comment, then sure he'd have a case against you. But somehow I doubt that's the case! ;-)

Sounds kinda weird to me. If anything, I say that this blogger was the one out of blog etiquette by not sending you an email as to why your comment was deleted.

Were there other comments on that post that remained undeleted?

Strange indeed.

 
At 9/26/2005 06:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course it wasn't rude what you did. The blogger who deleted your comments was the one who was rude. Maybe they just didn't like what you said? Regardless something like that would put me off reading their blog anymore.

 
At 9/26/2005 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Alison said...

I agree with Rob and Barb.

Someone who doesn't want "just anyone" to comment on his or her blog should have comment approval set up, or should turn off comments altogether.

 
At 9/26/2005 09:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bizarre...maybe it was a technical glitch. you never know. some people delete comments from anonymous posters or those who leave no email address. everyone has weird rules about posting comments. a lot them of unreasonable in my opinion. by the way, just passing through :-)

 
At 9/26/2005 10:06:00 PM, Blogger still_figuring_out said...

nothing wrong in commenting. maybe the blog administrator of that blog doesnt like comments, and might not know how to switch the option off. or maybe he/she wants comments only from family members/ friends. or maybe that person is just plain ol jerko.

 
At 9/26/2005 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

That's what blogging is all about! We blog so we can put our ideas and thougts for others to see and read.

Maybe this person wants to keep a private blog?

Maybe this person is just plain mean?

Anywho, I say post away! I just did.

 
At 9/26/2005 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Rob, there were other comments that remained undeleted, but mine were deleted. And they WERE there the day before, up on the site, and when I looked the next day they were gone. Oh well... I'm letting this one go. Thanks for your comments, y'all! (I still speak a little Missourian from college...)

 
At 4/09/2006 10:41:00 PM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I (obviously) don't see anything wrong with it. : )

But for some reason others do. I don't get it. I had a very similar thing happen to me, too. And I thought the exact same thing, "What did I do wrong? Did I say something they took as mean? I didn't mean to if I did. Hmmmm..."

I have decided that people can just be weird, and I still comment on random blogs that I come across and like...like yours! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home