Saturday, September 17, 2005

A Double Feature

We saw this movie today, as well as the Aliens of the Deep film. They were both interesting, but I was more captivated by Aliens of the Deep. Some of my friends commented that the last part of Aliens was fantasy, and it was a little hard to know if what you were seeing was real (it wasn't). I'll admit, it was a little odd (I won't ruin it for everyone by telling what exactly I'm talking about from the last 5 minutes). Anyway, I loved that Aliens was not narrated, as most IMAX films are. The scenes were simply shown to the viewers, and you were left to make connections on your own and draw your own conclusions.

I think it's somewhat like the inquiry method of teaching, which is something I'm really working on nailing in science class. I try to give the kids guidance, make them wonder and ask questions, help them investigate their own questions, then let them present their findings to their peers. Pretty cool stuff- this is why I'm in education.

4 Comments:

At 9/17/2005 01:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, interesting. Would you say the traditional methods of teaching are lacking? I'm curious, as I've been tutoring algebra for the past few years and am very interested in teaching skills -- how to better communicate instruction to a child.

 
At 9/17/2005 02:53:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Okay, I'm going to recycle a phrase I learned from running Camp Invention. In traditional teaching, you are a "sage on the stage;" with inquiry you are a "guide on the side." Certainly you just have to be a sage sometimes because, honestly, you do know so much more than the student(s). But there's something to the idea that we learn so much more effectively and permanantly when we have to discover for ourselves, rather than being force-fed information. Does this make sense?

 
At 9/17/2005 04:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, completely. And I tend to agree. Sort of reminds me of the Socratic method. Or am I way off?

 
At 9/17/2005 04:20:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I was about to say the term "Socratic method", but forgot due to my other phrase. :-) Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home