Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Spoonful of Sugar?

Have any of my readers ever heard of the old wives' tale about curing a burnt tongue? According to legend, if you immediately douse the burnt taste buds in sugar, they will heal quickly.

I never had sugar on hand to actually try this home remedy... but any time I burnt my tongue during the last 5 or so years, I thought, 'Now where can I find me some sugar?'.

Yesterday, I sipped my Moroccan Pomegranate Red tea too early and regretted it. Immediately my tongue was seared, and I grabbed for the icing from my leftover birthday cake. The sugary substance was soothing on my tongue immediately. Miraculously, 24 hours later, my tongue feels fine.

Try this one at home, folks, and let me know if you're successful.

6 Comments:

At 3/01/2006 11:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh, never heard of that one. But hey, if it works.

Myself, I'm a firm believer in sipping. Helps aerate the fluid.

 
At 3/01/2006 09:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Rob's using the fancy words now that he has his lab coat ("aerate").

So, Sarah, do you want us to try burning our tongues or just try cooling our tongues with sugar?

 
At 3/02/2006 04:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll keep this one in mind. It would be a handy rememdy for the kids too.

 
At 3/02/2006 04:46:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Hmmm... Mary, let's just say that I'm really curious as to whether my data was biased or not. The sample size was rather small, I admit.

 
At 3/02/2006 09:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's interesting. I've never heard of that before but I am always burning my tongue on pizza. I'll have to try that!

 
At 11/17/2006 10:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! This does work :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home