Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Numb is Good, You See

I just completed another training run; 2 miles today. I feel especially proud because I didn't stop at all. As a gal who's always been a natural sprinter, I feel like it's a big achievement for me. I've been a sporadic runner since I was a kid; Mom or Dad would enter all three of us in a fun run or 5K and we'd practice running at the park a few times before the big event. Those were the days!

In the past few years, I would try to stick with running (because I wanted to run so badly) but always increased my mileage too quickly, resulting in a wacky knee pain. This time around, I'm taking it slow; increasing by .25 of a mile every week and not sweating the days when circumstances keep me from my planned jog.

Today's run felt amazing because A) my dog was happy- as evidenced by the tail that never stopped wagging- and B) my body didn't hurt at all. I used to feel pain in my legs and lungs all the time when I ran. Lately it feels neutral when I'm out there; I feel as if I could just keep going forever.

I feel as if I would be capable of anything if I could just conquer this half-marathon.

10 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 11:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you'll conquer it alright! I can feel it!

Hey, did Rob tell you that I definitely want to run with you guys? (Unless of course I make it on the Amazing Race!)

The only thing I'm concerned about is the altitude difference. Should I train twice as hard? eek!

 
At 2/01/2006 06:47:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Melissa, we might just be as fun as the Amazing Race! Okay, perhaps not, but it's exciting to know you might run with us! And altitude... I don't know exactly how that will go. I mean, the race is at a higher altitude than Rob or I live at. So maybe we'll all have to train twice as hard, then!

 
At 2/01/2006 02:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I only ran 1.5 miles last night. :(

Personally, I don't think either of you two are going to finish The Big Run. I mean, you're girls!

 
At 2/01/2006 02:59:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Hey, watch it, 1.5!

 
At 2/01/2006 08:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are amazing!

 
At 2/01/2006 11:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my word, i can't believe my brother had the audacity to say that. have you forgotten who your sister is? If you were here i would smack you!

 
At 2/03/2006 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, you're playing into my evil hands. See now, you won't be able to not run this with us!

 
At 2/05/2006 09:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work Sarah!

I can't even go up a flight of stairs in Denver without passing out.

Anjelia can, though. lol

 
At 2/06/2006 07:12:00 PM, Blogger Kim Masitti said...

For the knees....Glucosamine 1500 plus MSM. Take one in the moring and one at night. Takes about 5 weeks before you see the results but this really works for knee pain. Also, make sure your shoe tread is not too aggressive for the ground you are running on. For example, if you are primarily running on dirt or pavement, don't get trail running shoes, they grip too much and you will feel it in your knees. I run 3 to 6 miles 3 or more times a week and since using Glucosamine, no more knee joint pain. Have fun!

 
At 2/08/2006 06:40:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks, Kim! I even still have a giant sized bottle of glucosamine from when I did Ride the Rockies 2 years ago. All that cycling wore on my knee, too. I appreciate the encouragement- and I can't wait to share my half-marathon story in June!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home