Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

Goals. I'm setting two goals (because I'm not that into resolutions) this year; one for the challenge and the other for the fun.

1. I will run a half-marathon race. In addition to the health benefits, I want to be back on a running schedule that has an end goal attached. Rob has volunteered to train with me and run the race, which adds even more incentive. Sorry Rob, now I've put it on the Internet and you are officially trapped! Starting today, I'm on the plan toward a 5K, a 10K, then a 1/2 marathon in June. I'm considering the Steamboat Half Marathon or the Run the Rockies Half Marathon.

2. I will roast my own coffee beans at home. This has been a dream for quite a while now, but I'm ready to do it this year. Amazon carries the Freshroast Plus 8 Coffee Roaster and the I-Roast; not sure which model to purchase, though. As a coffee aficionado, I feel it is my duty to venture out into this uncharted territory, especially when I've heard that it will knock my socks off. As if I need another reason to stay constantly caffeinated...

Happy New Year to all!

12 Comments:

At 1/01/2006 02:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your training. You go girl!

You'll have to let me know about the roasting. If you love it I may be a copy cat!

 
At 1/02/2006 09:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear God, what have I done?!

So should I bring my running shoes today?

 
At 1/02/2006 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

You have running shoes? Just kidding... :-)

I think you should make it a habit to bring your running shoes anytime we see each other, from now on.

To the half marathon!

 
At 1/02/2006 12:35:00 PM, Blogger girlski said...

bake, do you remember when i used to make you run with me in springfield?!

 
At 1/03/2006 12:25:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, Had, how could I possibly forget? I especially remember the horrible feeling of sweating simply by walking out the door and into the Missouri humidity. I remember almost getting hit by cars and trucks on that back road we liked to take... can't remember the name of it. I remember running and feeling like I would certainly die because my body was way too hot. Yes, I remember running with you, Had. :-)

 
At 1/03/2006 06:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you cry after your first mile, you're not alone. I started training in January because my race was in June and I was completely out of shape. We finished the mile in the freezing cold, and I sat down and cried. I thought the whole thing was hopeless; I could barely finish 1 mile! How was I ever going to complete 13, but I did! I know you both can do it!

"DO it!" What's that from?

 
At 1/04/2006 02:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i just remembered--Starsky and Hutch! DO it!

(sorry for the whole stream of consciousness thing)

 
At 1/04/2006 05:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! on both of those things.

For some reason, the coffee beans seem more impressive to me. Maybe because anyone can run. But roasting your own coffee beans? Wow. Can't wait to hear how your coffee tastes.

 
At 1/05/2006 01:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Sarah, that's awesome to actually WANT to run. I have always hated running and the way I look when I run.

You will do it!

 
At 1/06/2006 09:22:00 AM, Blogger Kim Masitti said...

The Georgetown-Idaho Springs is a great 1/2 marathon for a new runner. It's downhill....but don't worry, it isn't too easy, you will be tired before it's over. Very gradual slope. Be careful that your shoes have enough toe room, or you could lose a toenail! Also, if you want a good training spot...In the Springs, Labrador Loop off Hwy 24 is a great run. Dogs allowed.

 
At 1/06/2006 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Coffee-bean roasting, ha! Now brewing your own moonshine; that's hard... I heard. From a friend. You don't know them. But seriously those are both really good goals; I think starting to run is the worst part of running. Poor, poor Rob...

 
At 1/08/2006 11:30:00 PM, Blogger J-Dingo said...

J-Dog has found that relaxing on the patio while enjoying a cocktail will rid one's self of the silly notion of running.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home