Monday, January 16, 2006

Running Steps

As previously announced, Rob and I are training for a half-marathon race in June. We snapped this photo on Saturday, just before starting our very first training run together. Wow, running is so much more fun when you have good conversation to keep you going. We set out with the goal to run for a half hour, enjoyed some neat scenery on this little trail, and ended up getting back an hour later. You might want to call us "runners" from now on! The good news is that we have 21 weeks to train. The first step is the St. Patty's Day 5K, which will be pretty simple, then we up our miles over the next 13 weeks for the Run the Rockies Half-Marathon. We're using Hal Higden's training plan, thanks to the expertise of Rob's veteran half-marathoning sister, Melissa. I'm feeling surprisingly excited by the thought of running 13 miles! Having these little details scheduled in makes me feel like it's all very possible and within our grasp now.

7 Comments:

At 1/16/2006 05:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the runner on the right, although it doesn't look quite like me. Weird!

We're going to show this 0.5 marathon who's boss, Bake!

 
At 1/16/2006 05:47:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oddly enough, I don't think I look like me either. It's probably because we were squinting into the sun. After further examination of this photo, I noticed I was sweating before the running even began! Nice.

 
At 1/16/2006 06:34:00 PM, Blogger Pigs said...

5K...pretty simple. Uh huh. Yeah. Keep saying that. I will be the one watching from the sidelines. :o)
(You know they make you run in those, right?)

 
At 1/16/2006 08:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, look at you cuties! Keep up the good work! You are clearly on the right track! Which schedule are you using? Seeing as you just ran an hour without even noticing, I would say that you should not classify yourselves as novices!

 
At 1/17/2006 07:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are so dang cute!

I don't run and if I do James laughs. I guess it's funny looking. My asthma probably wouldn't let me if I wanted to (good excuse!). I do LOVE to go for walks!

Enjoy your training! It does sound like fun (except for the running part)!

 
At 1/17/2006 10:40:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Mel, TRUST me, I need the novice plan. My gruelling running routine right now consists of running 1 mile, walking a little to recover, running another mile, walking a bit, then running some sprints.

You could still run the half-marathon with us... it would be so much fun!

 
At 1/20/2006 01:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, just the thought of running makes me sweat, too.

You two look you are having a great time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home