Sunday, October 23, 2005

Baking Season

(Inspired by Rob's baking experience and photo...)

We are officially in the middle of baking season since we have already had one snow here in Colorado. I have been inspired to make all sorts of cozy foods this week, but the best of all was the apple crisp that I made yesterday. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure, then I'll tell you the details:

I decided after my last crisp that I needed to try a version that was slightly healthier (a whole stick of butter in the last recipe just couldn't be good for you). So... the finished product this time had whole wheat flower instead of white, a few oats tossed in for good measure, 4 tablespoons of Smart Balance spread (all heart-healthy canola, safflower, and olive oils), applesauce for consistency, and a little Splenda for sweetness.

And it's good. I eat it and taste the goodness of the baked apples inside. However, last time the topping was luxurious and rich, with a delicate crunch when you bit into it. My topping's a little chewier this time, and doesn't have the same consistency as the last time.

5 Comments:

At 10/23/2005 08:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made apple crisp last week. I do love the baking season. I use a lot of butter and sugar, though! I haven't gotten into healthy desserts yet! I'd love to try yours though. Wish I could have a piece. It looks yummy!

 
At 10/23/2005 12:20:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Well if you're ever in Colorado Springs, Jules, I'll happily make some for you! :-)

 
At 10/23/2005 06:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, that looks good!

Ok, here's an idea: let's have a CO blogger meeting! Jules and her fam are going to be here in Nov. Maybe they can squeeze it into their schedule?

 
At 10/23/2005 06:56:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Really? What are the dates they'll be here? A CO blogger meeting is a GREAT idea! I'd love to meet all you guys. :-) In a strange way, I feel like I already have; not sure why!

 
At 10/27/2005 02:27:00 PM, Blogger Chris Lautischer said...

mmmm the picture of that apple crisp is absolutely mouth watering!

If you want to courier some over to me feel free!!! :D (j/k)

I got hooked on baking when I started selling Watkins products. I love the stuff especially the vanilla. If you want to take a look, check out www.watkinsonline.com/home and use associate id# 364407 if you are interested in ordering anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home