Thursday, October 13, 2005

Postal Service Teaches Metaphors

I found a great new song today on the CD I got from my friend Melissa. I absolutely love Death Cab for Cutie and Postal Service (same lead singer), and I've been glued to this album nonstop for about two weeks. My new favorite song, you ask? "Brand New Colony"... Joyful, a little ethereal, and dreamy. Here's my favorite part:

I'll be the grapes fermented,
Bottled and served with the table set in my finest suit
Like a perfect gentlemen.
I'll be the fire escape that's bolted to the ancient brick
Where you will sit and contemplate your day.
I'll be the waterwings that save you if you start drowning
In an open tab when your judgement's on the brink.
I'll be the phonograph that plays your favorite
Albums back as your lying there drifting off to sleep...
I'll be the platform shoes and undo what heredity's done to you...
You won't have to strain to look into my eyes.
I'll be your winter coat buttoned and zipped straight to the throat
With the collar up so you won't catch a cold.

I want to take you far from the cynics in this town
And kiss you on the mouth.

5 Comments:

At 10/14/2005 10:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I love this song! Have to put them in my queue...

 
At 10/16/2005 06:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James signed us up on something where we pay a monthly fee and get to download songs for free. I've never even heard of this group or the groups Rob likes, although some of the lyrics are thought provoking. I am out of touch I guess! I like worship and country mostly! I like the old country too like Cash, etc.

 
At 10/16/2005 06:36:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Ah, you can't beat Johnny, really. :-) Are you excited to see the movie about him that's coming soon?

 
At 10/17/2005 08:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes!! I am really looking forward to it. I hope it will not disappoint. We are going to take my mom. She's a big fan. She hasn't gone to the theatre for years!

 
At 10/19/2005 05:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I gotta get this cd! I'm so backwoods--I don't have a mp3 player!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home