Saturday, October 08, 2005

Another Update from Ethiopia

Posted Thursday, by Becky:

Even though I've worked so hard to learn the culture, there are still times when I make big mistakes. Then the judgement of the people feels like a Religious spirit on Meth. (not that I really know what Meth does)This morning a waitress spilled a cup of coffee on a customer. I was watching as it happened. I made the mistake of gasping. In this culture ALL emotions are to be held inside. Everyone was aghast at how uncultured I am. Oops!

I wrote to Martie Sibert and told her that I was walking past an airline office. The thought crossed my mind that I could just hop on a plane and disappear. However, rather than being swallowed by a whale I would probably be swallowed by a hawk. I am holding on to the dream of how it will feel to have the home up and running.

Another obstacle we are encountering is the stigma of once having Fistula. Even though Martha is cured and doing well, if anyone finds out that she once had fistula the whole family will be ostracized from the community. It seems very cruel to me from my cultural vantage. We will need to be very careful with the women we help to keep the purpose of our home a secret.

Dr. Catherine told us a story of one woman who had lived in a dark room for NINE years. Her family threw a plate of food in at mealtimes. She had no human contact and no sanitation for NINE years. She is unable to be fully cured because of the long years with no treatment.

Another woman had been laying in bed with her legs curled underneath her for so long that she could not even move them. After her treatment and physical therapy she is fully cured.

This may be my favorite story. One woman lost five babies before birth. The sixth one caused a fistula. When she finished her treatment, Dr. Catherine told her to go find a new husband and when she could feel the movement, to come quickly to the hospital. It happened and she was able to deliver one healthy baby. Can you imagine her joy?

1 Comments:

At 10/08/2005 07:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy these stories, even though they are sad. I will be praying for Becky. She's definitely doing God's work over there. My heart breaks for these women. I thought giving birth was an incredibly difficult yet wonderfully, satisfying experience. I am so thankful I gave birth here! I am glad there are people like Becky who care for these women and help them to get the treatment they need. Thanks for the update.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home