Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Dixie Chicks and an ode to country music

I just downloaded the new Dixie Chicks album. Instantly I feel myself transported back to the days of college in Springfield, Missouri... college. Let me preface this entry by saying that I have a fond spot in my heart for country music, particularly clever lyrics and vocals. Somehow through the friends I made in college, I grew a craving for unique country. Granted, Dixie Chicks is more of a rock-country, but I also love Diamond Rio. Patty Loveless. Now, THAT's country.

I'm writing this as I listen to "The Long Way Around" for the first time. I feel an indescribable joy in hearing it- there's such familiarity and newness at the same time. It's music like this that makes me feel as if we're driving around P'Ville with straw hats on, Hadler at the wheel (a maniac driving on all those turns) and the windows all the way down. Excellent lined up harmonies, soaring fiddle, brisk strum. Makes me remember Branson too, and the hills around it. Satisfaction. There was a sense of freedom as we piled into a car and just drove....

This is why I like country music.

4 Comments:

At 6/07/2006 11:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the same reasons why I loved grunge back in my college days. Of course you were in grade school then.

 
At 6/08/2006 09:57:00 PM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

The Dixie Chicks are Soooooo College!!!

I heart the Dixie Chicks!! I went to see them twice back then. One time it was at the County Fair in Louisville. It just doesn't get any better than that! AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!

I do love the album! Just downloaded it myself!

PS Have you listened to The Breakers? Good Country album. It's Fun!

 
At 6/09/2006 04:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rhapsody won't let me listen to this album. :(

I adore Faith Hill's song Fireflies. It reminds me of my precious girls and the little girl in me.

I like country music a lot. I grew up on the old country music. I still like the 70's stuff but I really enjoy the new country.

When entering the late 20's and 30's, it seems the time to look back with a renewed appreciation for one's roots.

 
At 6/10/2006 12:12:00 PM, Blogger girlski said...

whoa, are you insulting the way i drive? i was just adding effect -- country crusing isn't fun unless there is out-of-control speed, blaring country music, and alcohol involved... wait, i didn't mean that last one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home