Monday, November 14, 2005

TV Tangled

I've been thinking about TV and me, thanks to Barb's post called The TV Monster. I read it earlier this evening and was thinking about the best moments in my life; they've all been away from the TV, or at least engaging in other active things, mentally.

I wrote a poem in college about TV's grasp on me; on many people, I think. I won't subject my faithful and often complimentary readers to the amateur verse, but it was a favorite because it reflected a weakness in me.

See, I never grew up with a TV. Our mom wouldn't let us watch anything unless it was a movie, and even then we had to haul the 13-inch set + VCR up from the laundry room. I have other friends who grew up TV-less, and we think that our brains are less able to tune out the TV when it's on now. When we are in front of a TV, our mouths gape widely and sometimes we say things like, "What? What did you just say...?" TV entrances me, to put it bluntly.

So why do I have one today? Well, I live alone, and while I don't really WANT to watch mindless television very often, I still tend to flick it on when there's a quiet moment. Sigh. I don't know why. I think it's a bad habit, maybe?

So here's the idea I have... the TV will not come on at my house, except for movies and pre-arranged TV programs. Even when I come home from school and I want nothing more than to lie down and just veg... I'll do that without TV. I want to keep this vow until the end of 2005 to see how I feel. I know that I am happiest when I have to create... whether it's art or music or thoughts. When I sit passively, my mind feels soothed for a small period of time... and then comes the regret, later. I want to realize the time lost to television, how precious time is, and that I can never reclaim it.

8 Comments:

At 11/15/2005 05:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 4 televisions in my house, yet I rarely have any of them on. When I do, I rarely pay attention.

Such is the plight of an internet addict.

 
At 11/15/2005 06:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed the same thing and have the same theory! That when you're not used to being around televisions, you have a harder time tuning them out when you encounter them in restaurants and such. I have to sit with my back to them because I find them so distracting. Interesting observation.

Our new plan for reducing is that the TV doesn't come on until 7pm on week nights and then we can either watch a show or a movie and I've made sure my queue at the library for movie rentals always has a new one ready for us. Last night we watched Hitchcock's Vertigo.

 
At 11/15/2005 06:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I was also going to say that the location in your home the tv occupies is also important. Is it the centerpiece of the room or do you have to drag it out of the closet to watch it? That helps too. And cultivating intentional habits and rituals. GIL and I are going to try to make it a habit to go to a nearby coffee shop every evening for just an hour or so, bringing a book or playing a board game.

 
At 11/15/2005 07:12:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Barb,

All of your plans sound great. I think the idea of having some great movies on hand to watch is also a nice idea. Thanks!

 
At 11/15/2005 01:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are awesome ideas, Barb. You're right, the TV can either be the centerpiece of our lives or not.

Of course I'm a big hypocrite here! I've got a HUGE projector screen. But in my defense, I also have no TV tuner, so I don't watch any TV (except downloading Lost from the internet). All my entertainment is Netflix queue.

Back when I was in Dallas, my roommate and I had a ReplayTV (like Tivo). That helped a lot in cutting down my vegging habit. It was empowering because I could watch those prearranged shows when I wanted. Life didn't grind to a halt at 8pm on Thursday night, etc. Screw primetime!

On another note, a good friend of mine back in college was also raised without a TV. I had a TV in my dorm room and when he came over to study, it was weird watching him. His mouth would be stuck open, eyes wide, totally in a trance. Too funny.

 
At 11/15/2005 04:51:00 PM, Blogger Ciera said...

I haven't had tv for almost 3 years, though I still watch too many video tapes. I grew up with it though, and still get snagged by it when I see it in someone else's home. I have a friend who was 'babysat' by the tv and when it's on, there is no talking to him. you could wave your hand in front of his face and get no reaction. His wife literally has to shut it off if she wants to talk to him.

however, I just discovered "Numbers" while I was at my mom's the other night and told her I would be abck next week...how terrible is that?!

 
At 11/16/2005 08:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With four kids, we no longer have much time to watch tv! We often put something in to veg to around 9 o'clock. By then we are both too tired to read or do anything else. We just snuggle in bed and take it easy. Sometimes vegging feels sooooooooooooo good!

I've noticed the kids don't watch a lot of cartoons anymore. School helps a lot with that. We did snuggle up together last night to watch Little House On the Prairie. It was really fun. Some of my favorite family times are snuggling and relaxing with the kids to a good movie or show. I think I enjoy it because everyone is content and I can relax too!

Is it bad that I can't wait for Anjelia to sit down for a half hour cartoon? No, it's not! I need to be able to shower without worrying. Sometimes tv is a blessing!

 
At 11/19/2005 02:24:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't imagine a life without TiVo. Sorry to sound like some looney evangelist here, but it really does change the way you watch TV. I never channel surf anymore - I only watch what I've set to record, at a time that's convenient to me. I also don't watch commercials, which are one of the most irritating components of modern TV.

Our kids (4 and 2) have watched almost no TV in their short lives. Our 4 year old will 'earn' a movie sometimes - and then usually just 30 ,minutes at a time. We NEVER just let them watch something on TV. I think that's a good thing in the long run - I'm sure they'll get plenty of opportunity when they're older.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home