Thursday, November 03, 2005

Teaching Story For Ya'

I have a child in my class whom I'll call Daniel. He's a fun kid; smart, charming, and very likeable.

I got a big surprise when I received a message yesterday from his mother. Here's what she said:

"Hi Sarah... We have somewhat of a mystery at our house... well, um, I guess we've solved it, but... (fumbling for words) I just wanted to let you know what was going on. I got a call from the school office today to tell me that a screw came out of Daniel's glasses, and they replaced it. Um... but, Sarah, Daniel doesn't wear glasses."

What? 'Yes he does,' I think, 'All year long, he's worn sleek, thin, black glasses!' He puts them on every day before reading class and wears them faithfully throughout the day. Why, just today during our measurement unit, he discovered that the width of his glasses is exactly one decimeter. What in the world....

As it turns out, our charming little Daniel fessed up to stealing his dad's reading glasses from home and wearing them at school... for MONTHS now. His dad has been tearing up the house looking for his favorite glasses, while his son is masquerading as a glasses wearer at school!

I laughed for 5 solid minutes with this parent on the phone. She is a good friend of mine (and, strangely enough, also an EU grad) and I had to just chuckle at the grand heist that Daniel pulled off. Not bad, I thought, although VERY, very naughty.

8 Comments:

At 11/03/2005 10:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, kid after my own heart. well, I wouldn't have actually pulled that off, but i've thought of becoming a fake glasses wearer!

 
At 11/04/2005 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, yo Baker...I decided to check out your blog page after all this time and I read your tale of the masquaraded specticle wearer. I laughed out loud, for quite a few minutes actually. The boy "daniel" sounds like a nut. I love it! I just love it. Hey, I'm trying to set up my own blogspot but running into technical difficulties, stay turned for the unveiling!

 
At 11/04/2005 11:30:00 AM, Blogger jlybn123 said...

That is hilarious. Kids can be slick, can't they?

Found your blog via Leeza.

 
At 11/04/2005 02:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic!!! I wear glasses and I'm not even offended. Now if he had a pretend prostetic...

 
At 11/04/2005 04:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! I love it! When I was little I always wanted braces and glasses; then I got them! Boy, they were not all they were cracked up to be!

 
At 11/05/2005 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Ciera said...

funny!! naughty, but funny!

 
At 11/06/2005 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I know, Mel- I always wanted the glasses and braces too. When I got them, I couldn't wait to be rid of them! Poor Daniel didn't have enough time in his dad's reading glasses to realize this!

 
At 11/06/2005 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Kristen!!!

Thanks for your comment! And yes, do let me know when your blog is set up. I will definitely tune in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home