Monday, November 21, 2005

Anti-Gourd Makes Gourd Soup

Yeah, I know, I hate the gourd family. No one needs to remind me. And I should not be cooking with gourds or admitting that I cook with gourds, or, God forbid, admitting on the Internet that I cook with gourds. But I have an amazing recipe for this butternut squash soup, and just had to cave to create this culinary masterpiece. To document this portion of the soup process, I used my handy Kodak EasyShare C340, a la AliThinks. I just adore her food photos and want to take pictures just like her.

I started with this recipe from the Cooking Bible (best birthday gift ever; thanks, Mom):














Then I sliced the butternut squash. As you can see, they really are quite beautiful, even though they smell like a cross between a gourd and a melon, two hated food families of mine.

























After the hour of baking the squash, my house smelled magnificent and cozy. I thought I did such a great job on the baking of the gourds that I might want to wait until tomorrow to actually make the soup portion.

To be continued...

3 Comments:

At 11/22/2005 07:26:00 PM, Blogger Kim Masitti said...

Bob and I make squash ALL the time. Butternut is a fav. Acorn is another favorite, we like to season it generously and spoon in italian chopped tomatoes in the center, black beans go well in the middle too. It is a veg to be reckoned with.

 
At 11/23/2005 03:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very good photo of squash, nice composition!
J-Dog doesn't like squash but Kimbob makes him eat it when he visits.
Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 11/23/2005 03:21:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks, J-Dog! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home