Sunday, May 07, 2006

How We Met

I've been mentally composing this e-mail since the first date I had with Rob.

No, listen- seriously- I have! I had a feeling about this one. On our first date, when two blog-geeks went out to eat at No-No's, he said, "You know we can't blog about this date, right?". I nodded, "Of course!". I was thinking that someday I just might get an occasion to blog extensively about us, just from how well the date was going. He tried to teach me chess that night, and we couldn't stop talking long enough to play an entire game. I knew that was a good sign.

If you ask Rob, he'll tell you I hunted him down- and he's right. We both had left comments on Sexless In the City, which we both discovered reading Rolling Stone magazine (coincidentally, both of our roommates subscribed). I clicked on his blog one night while aimlessly blog-surfing and left a comment immediately. I knew he was something special. In fact, I felt all tingley inside when I read some of his archives and learned more about his beliefs. This led to many long e-mails exchanged, much thinking about who this Internet Rob was, more e-mails, lots of blog comments from both sides, and finally, a face-to-face meeting. Rob's friends James and Jules, their 4 girls, and my brother Mark were there the first time we met. The five of us ordered Chinese food and laughed until all of our cheeks ached from too much grinning. Here's a photo from that night (I was so excited when Julie suggested we take a bloggers' photo!). We look pretty darned happy! We've been occupying each other's weekends ever since. We run, we hike, we walk the dog and see plays together. We eat and laugh and watch LOST together and always are left wanting more time together. So, to the blogging world that introduced us:

we're engaged!I LOVE the ring... I'm never taking it off. :-)

Rob proposed on Friday, taking me back to N0-No's for another lovely Cajun meal. He created a CD of special music for us (there's been a lot of music swapping with this boy!) and told me all about what it meant to have met me. When he pulled out the ring I was too nervous to even touch it, so he had to! He asked me if I would marry him, I accepted, and I even got a little teary. The ring is beautiful and unique; more lovely than I could have picked out myself.
I am so incredibly happy to be marrying this man. I keep smiling when I realize I will be Mrs. Lund in 96 days. The downside? It's going to go by too slowly!
--------------------------------
UPDATE (Day 3 of engagement)
Today I told the kids in my class that I'm getting married. They all clapped for me and asked, "Is it to the guy who came on our field trip?". "Yes," I assured them. I might have annoyed my kids and co-workers at school today when I kept gazing at my ring. Must remember to not be the obnoxious bride-to-be...

21 Comments:

At 5/07/2006 06:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, lovely post, dear. :)

Here's to Neil and Melissa for their Rolling Stone subscriptions!

 
At 5/07/2006 07:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you guys!

Wedding date right between Rob and my birthday and right on my aunt's birthday.

Ain't August great?

It was such an honor yesterday when Rob called me and asked me to be best man. I happily accepted.

Beautiful ring too! Nice work Rob!

 
At 5/07/2006 07:18:00 PM, Blogger girlski said...

baker deleted my original comment, so i'm posting again. as you know, i don't approve of this engagement and i won't pretend to even like this kid, rob.

 
At 5/07/2006 07:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE ROCK!!!!!! Way to go girl!!! James and I are beyond excited for you guys. I am so glad we were there when you first met. That's so cool!!!!

In a few generations your family will be looking through your scapbook and will wonder who the big mouthed lady is between Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Lund!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

 
At 5/07/2006 07:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful ring. I am so happy for you two; you make a wonderful couple.

P.S. The woman between Grandpa and Grandma Lund is that Crazy Old Jules who keeps claiming that she set up the meeting of Grandpa and Grandma.

 
At 5/07/2006 08:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's my claim to fame!

I know you'd be together anyway. Just glad to have taken part in the earliest stages! hehe!

 
At 5/07/2006 10:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, this is Emily another one of Rob's cousins (andrea's sister). I'm soo excited for the two of you, I can't wait to meet you here in a few weeks. CONGRATULATIONS!!

 
At 5/07/2006 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Suz. said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy for you!! You've met your Mr. Darcy!! Well - ok your Mr. Lund and I'm sure there are no similarities to that curious courtship. But I am happy. It is right! and when you know something is right, there is hope in the world!

Blessings!!!
from your friendly movie host.
Susan

p.s. I'm sure that Anna Broadway would be happy for your too!!

 
At 5/08/2006 12:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I am thrilled! I get a sister! Congratulations, you two! I can't wait for the big day!

 
At 5/08/2006 07:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great ring! I'm so thrilled for you and Rob. I can't wait to meet you when you and Rob come down to Texas for his cousin's graduation.

 
At 5/08/2006 08:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, it has been so fun to keep up on "Rob's new love" through James and Jules. We were all living vicariously through this new love of two very cool people. We were ecstatic when we were out with James and Jules Sat. night and heard the wonderful news!

May God richly bless you both as you begin this wonderful life together. Marriage is really fun, lots of work, but very very rewarding!! You two are adorable.

 
At 5/08/2006 11:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats.

 
At 5/08/2006 09:52:00 PM, Blogger anonymous jones said...

Hi! Nice to hear a happy story like that!

 
At 5/09/2006 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

What a great story! Someone linked your story to my blog because a similar situation has begun with me. Not sure where it's leading, but your story made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 5/09/2006 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Ciera said...

Congrats Sarah! I'm glad the two of you connected!

ps ~ when I first saw that "bloggers' photo of the two of you with Jules, I had a feeling about you two too... :)

 
At 5/10/2006 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your post after reading Sara Hadler's, in a link from BJ Smith's, who was my college roommate. It's so awesome to know that stuff like this really happens. Thanks for sharing!!

 
At 5/10/2006 03:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Sarah!!!! Marriage is the BEST thing ever! Engagement, on the other hand, well, let's just say I'm glad you're getting married soon! I'm so happy for you both! :)

 
At 5/10/2006 04:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Sara! Best wishes for both you and Rob. I am glad he finally found someone. I was in Robs dorm (DORM4) in college, actually his RA. He a great guy (Although I could tell you some stores from college...). God Bless you both. I wish I got to meet you when you were in AZ.

Josh E.

 
At 5/11/2006 09:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story! We could tell from the second he stepped into our house a week ago that something was up! He is usuall smiley but he had a 'perma smile' going.

Rob was a great roommate in college and I really count it a blessing to have him as a friend! I'm excited for you both and look forward to seeing how God continues to bless and lead you!

Matt

 
At 5/14/2006 07:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I go away for a week and look what happens!

Congratulations to you both. The internet is pretty cool, innit? That is where I met Allan, in a fairly random series of events. :)

 
At 5/14/2006 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super congratz!

I'm so glad we are getting in touch again at such an exciting time in your life (although you will be pretty busy, I'm sure!). I thought I saw a ring on your myspace pic the other day, so I've been waiting with great curiousity and anticipation to get the scoop. When exactly is the wedding date? It's crazy to think you and Melissa are both going to be married this year! Too cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home