Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Self-Guided Tour...

It's done; I've put up my tree; the Christmas season can begin now. Briana, a friend's daughter whom I watch on Tuesday nights, was at my house and was very eager to help me put up my tree. She was also intrigued by the crawlspace where the tree is kept year round. (I did not tell her that mice live there year round as well!) We put up the tree and in the process had to move the entire living room around!

I have listened to about 3 hours' worth of Christmas music, put up the angel chimes, and I got out the Christmas placemat. To give you a taste of the Christmas joy that has filled my home, you are invited on a virtual tour. Go at your own pace, and most of all, enjoy.

First, my lovely tree. I set it up in a corner this year to discourage the dog from knocking it over!


I love this ornament because I made it for my very first Christmas in C/S. A friend and I literally went crazy that year and made all our own ornaments from "scratch," which really means spending lots and lots of money at Hobby Lobby. Though we are no longer friends now, I wonder every year if she thinks of me when she hangs her ornaments.

This is an example of the kind of ornaments 4th grade teachers get every year. Please don't do this to your kids' teachers- think massage gift certificates instead. :-) Picture this one, multiplied by 30 at least, and that's the Christmas loot I get to haul home every December. The curious thing about teacher ornaments is that whoever creates them usually mixes several themes at once. This one is a snowman, angel, AND a student!

Another example of a classic teacher ornament. I might have loved it, had it not said "A+ Teacher" on it. Do you really think that most teachers want to be reminded of their career on their Christmas trees?

This bear angel was given to me by a friend when I moved out to Colorado. It came from a hip little boutique downtown. I remember the wrapping paper and box so vividly because of the important time in my life. I think it's my very favorite ornament.

Last but not least, the lovely angel found at the top of my tree. It reminds me of a Cabbage Patch doll for some reason. A sweet kid gave this to me my first year of teaching, and while I'm not really into stuffed animals or even stuffed angels, I find this gal's smile irresistible.

9 Comments:

At 11/29/2005 10:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice tour, made me smile...

 
At 11/29/2005 11:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the crawl space! Dang. ;-)

So funny about your Hobby Lobby hand-made ornaments. Just wait till you see my wooden block stringers!

 
At 11/30/2005 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Kim Masitti said...

Hope the kiddies who gave the onaments don't run across this, their little hearts would break if they thought you didn't think they were the greatest gifts in the world. No guilt trip here. ;O)

 
At 11/30/2005 01:10:00 PM, Blogger Ciera said...

Very cool.

 
At 11/30/2005 08:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! Thanks for sharing your ornaments. I love looking at other peoples ornaments on their tree. They do bring back such memories, don't they?

I like the bear the best, too.

 
At 12/01/2005 08:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Christmas decorations! I feel all warm and cozy looking at yours.

Plus, I have funny memories of my mom's teacher gifts. Half the time, she would let me have them. Since I was a packrat as a kid (trying to stop now), I loved it! Everything was a treasure!

 
At 12/01/2005 10:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!

What are your favorite teacher Christmas gifts? I could use some ideas!

 
At 12/01/2005 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Hmmmm... I'd have to say that my favorite teacher gifts are usually gift cards (Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Blockbuster). I know that these things are impersonal, but gosh, people- they're practical! I can actually USE and enjoy the Starbucks card... not so for all of the A+ Teacher ornaments.

I had a girl give me a really neat sweater one year... that was kind of odd, but neat in a way because it, too, was very practical.

 
At 12/02/2005 06:59:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Mel,

I think it might be fun getting some of these little teacher gifts if you're a kid. After all, many of them are picked out by kids! I gave my 10 year-old friend a Miniature Grow Your Own Christmas Tree this week, saved from last year's kid gifts. It was much like a chia pet, but smaller, and I think it used green salt crystals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home